Saint Katharine Drexel Council 11177
Saint Katharine Drexel Catholic Church
1922 SW 20th Ave
Cape Coral, FL, 33991
BUILDING THE DOMESTIC CHURCH
WHILE STRENGTHENING OUR PARISH
The Knights of Columbus is positioned to play a key role in the new alliance between the Church and the family called for by Pope Francis. To meet this call from our Holy Father, we have to do some things differently.
In light of this, Supreme Knight Carl Anderson announced an Order-wide initiative, during his address at the Mid-Year State Deputies Meeting, to strengthen both our parishes and families. It is entitled: “Building the Domestic Church While Strengthening Our Parish.”
- Councils have to become even more active in our parish communities.
- We have to stop duplicating activities that are more appropriately done by and through the parish.
- We have to focus more on programs that support Catholic families in their mission as a domestic Church.
Highlights of the new initiative include:
The “content” of the Knights of Columbus has not changed. We are a Catholic brotherhood based upon the principles of charity, unity, fraternity and patriotism. We are dedicated to the faithful and unparalleled service to the Church. But what will change is the “expression” of that service so that our work may become even more relevant and effective.
- Moving away from the home association system and toward parish-based councils. Valuable resources should no longer be used in supporting home associations whose activities are outside the mission of the Knights of Columbus or of the Church.
- Parish-based councils must move toward greater integration into the life of the parish. Knights of Columbus resources of time,
talent and money need to be used to strengthen parish-based and parish-sponsored programs.
- Councils should seek ways to work more closely with parish-based youth ministry programs and parish-based schools. The
Board of Directors has decided that as part of this new initiative, local councils will no longer sponsor Boy Scout troops. Councils should
move to end sponsorship as soon as practically possible and no later than the end of 2016. Councils should encourage troops
that they currently sponsor to become parishsponsored troops.
- Councils should seek to more closely integrate the activities of Squires Circles and
other youth activities within the youth ministry goals of the parish.
- Councils should give priority to programs and activities that fall within the Family, Church
and Youth categories of the Surge with Service program.
The changes outlined above may be difficult for
some. Change is never easy. But the proven record of the past half century is clear: the closer the Knights of Columbus becomes to parish life; the
closer we work with our priests; and the more we support Catholic families, the more our Order has grown in charity and membership.
Mission of Council 11177
- Recruit practicing practical catholic gentlemen:
- Exemplify the principals of Charity, Unity, Fraternity, and Patriotism:
- Support the parish priests:
- Promote the protection of human life, from conception to natural death:
- Defend religious freedom:
- Render charitable aid to needy individuals and families in the parish and community:
- Support veterans, especially the disabled:
- Promote academic and religious education:
- Support the spiritual wellbeing of members, their families, and the church community.
The Council meets on the first Monday of every month in the Parish Hall at 7:30 PM.
Rosary before the monthly meeting in the Chapel 7:00 PM.